Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Whirlwind

The past week has gone by in a blur. From packing and repacking and packing again, to finding my way through O'Hare, relaxing in business class on my flight to Dublin thanks to a lucky upgrade, and finally making my way to Spain, it's been hectic to say the least. However, everything has gone well.
I spent a day and a half in Dublin, and I'm very glad for that. Ireland has been my favorite place ever since last year, and it did not disappoint. As soon as I was able to drop off my luggage, I was out the door, jet lagged but determined. I hopped a train to the seaside town of Howth and spent a few hours walking the coastline and exploring the town, stopping at various pubs to have a glass of my favorite Irish beers (namely, Orchard Thieves Cider, but I also had a Guinness in Dublin.) In Dublin, I went to all my favorite places- crepes and coffee for lunch, a local pub for dinner, and clocked 11 miles over the course of the day. My favorite thing to do is walk around and get a little lost, so it's no surprise to me that over the course of my time in Ireland, I walked about 24 miles altogether. I was sad to leave- it's never enough time.

Catching the flight from Dublin to Madrid was easier than I thought it would be. It's so important to research public transportation before going to a new city and especially new countries. I felt much more relaxed already having determined what bus to take and where I'd need to wait in the morning. I even did well on the plane, which was small and packed half full of Irish men headed to Spain to watch the World Cup game in Leon (Ireland lost). I was nervous about arriving in Spain because I thought it would be a huge culture shock to see and hear only Spanish, but it has gone splendidly so far. I've tried to challenge myself to speak as much Spanish as possible with vendors and teachers and I feel comfortable enough trying to ask for things. However, I had a bit of a shock yesterday when I was told I had to take two placement tests, which I didn't think I would need. It did not go well. I arrived late because they had to come find me and take me to the exam, and then I felt very rushed at the end when they said everyone only had 5 minutes left. I should've asked for more time on account of arriving late, but instead I panicked, started crying throughout the end of the exam, did not bother to finish two fill-in-the-blank sections (didn't think I had time, and was by that point too panicked to focus), and walked out soon after. I should've tried harder, but all the same, I was placed into Spanish Composition 4, with the most advanced being Composition 6. I think if I'd been less stressed over the situation I could have done better, but I've since accepted my fate and I am determined to learn from this class as much as I can. The teacher speaks to us only in Spanish, so that already is a challenge! I am used to NIU teachers who mostly teach the class in English with a bit of Spanish interjected into the lecture. So already I have been working hard to understand more of what I am hearing. My oral examen was this morning and I've been told I placed well in that too, so overall, things are still working out. Just differently from what I am used to.

In a separate entry, I will talk more about the customs here, the differences, and the history of Toledo. It is an amazingly beautiful city, and I'm so glad to be here- no matter how hot it is outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment